Thursday, December 22, 2011

Bridge Blog 489: Not enough mojo in our so-so

          One of my favorite Olaf Fub quotes in the Reporter’s Notebook column I compile for The Buffalo News goes something like this – the good thing about mediocre people is that they always live up to their potential.
          I’ve certainly been living up to my potential this week in my excursion into Buffalo’s other bridge club. In the big 14.5-table game Monday at Bridge Club Meridian – in a field that included both Meg Klamp and Bud Seidenberg – me and Marilyn Sultz managed to hold our heads up with a 46% game, but not much more. Back at Meridian on Tuesday, the field was smaller – 10 tables – but my result with Marietta Kalman was no better, just 47.07%, which tied us with club director Dian Petrov, who was playing at the next table.
          I had higher hopes for Wednesday at the Bridge Center of Buffalo, teaming up with my regular Wednesday partner, Celine Murray. She and I do better than 50% at least half of the time. This was not one of those times. The partial results in this 9½ table game with one round to go showed us with a 39% score, with only one North-South pair more pathetic than that. We finished with 43.29%. No reward for that, even though we were in the C strat. We’d need to be better at so-so, at least 48%. 

No comments:

Post a Comment