Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Bridge Blog 480: Right or wrong?

Partner Celine Murray took me to task for my decision to plow ahead to 4 Spades, down one, on this hand Wednesday morning – Board 6 in the third round against Dave Donaldson and Mary Davey-Carr. I should have picked up on her Heart bid and let her play it at 4 Hearts, she said. She thinks it would have made 4 Hearts. But I wondered, so I copied it down. Let’s see if she’s right.
East-West is vulnerable and I’m the dealer, sitting East. I open this hand with a strong 2 Club bid.

Spades: A-Q-J-9-8-4. Hearts: A-Q-10.
Diamonds: A-Q-8. Clubs: 3.

Mary, sitting South, doubles. Celine, instead of bidding 2 Diamonds (waiting), like I expected, offered 2 Hearts. So she’s got five of them with two of the top three honors, right? But I’ve got Spades. I bid 2 Spades. Celine goes 2 No Trump, if I recall correctly. But I want to trump Clubs, which I won’t be able to do if I accept her Heart invitation. Plus, she can’t have two of the top three honors in the suit. I go 4 Spades and Mary leads a Club. Here’s Celine’s hand.

Spades: 7. Hearts: K-9-8-6-3.
Diamonds: J-10-3-2. Clubs: A-6-2.

Unfortunately, I get a bad trump break. Here are the other two hands.

North
Spades: K-10-6-5-3-2. Hearts: 4-2.
Diamonds: 6-4. Clubs: K-10-9.

South
Spades: None. Hearts: J-7-5.
Diamonds: K-9-7-5. Clubs: Q-J-8-7-5-4.

Everybody plays it in Spades. Two pairs stop at 3 Spades and make it. Me and two other pairs go to 4 Spades, down one. One unhappy twosome goes down two.

    So what about Hearts? Let’s find out. If Dave leads a Spade, Mary trumps it. If she returns a Club, Celine wins and maybe leads a Club to trump in the dummy. Then she draws Hearts in two rounds, staying in the dummy, and leads a Spade to trump. Now she can do the finesse low to the Queen of Diamonds, which loses. If Mary returns a Club, she also loses that. But then what? Another Club? Celine trumps in her hand, runs the Diamonds, making 4 Hearts. She was right.
    That would have been a top and a boost to 61.83%, making us third in A, ahead of the club’s overall morning winners, Judi Marshall and Bev Cohen. Wouldn't matter. We still get more points for being first in B.

No comments:

Post a Comment