Friday, September 16, 2011

Bridge Blog 444-D: BFS 1 -- Upside (sorta)

Marilyn Sultz and I vow to do better in the afternoon session. This time we’re North-South and it does indeed feel like a better game. We make doubles and they work. Other people double us and, on at least one memorable occasion, we beat the double.
I’d put the hand diagram in here if my departure routine had included picking up the hand records for the afternoon session. But memory will serve well enough. We’re up against two game directors – Dave Larcom, who runs the East Aurora club; and Bill Rieker, longtime director of B&P Duplicate, predecessor to BC Meridian. Dave opens 2 No Trump, Bill bumps it up to 3 NT.
Me, I’ve got a wacko hand – seven hearts, King-Jack-Ten; five Clubs, Ace-Jack (or was it Ace-King-Jack? I’ll have to get that darned hand record Saturday); and one anemic Diamond. They’re vulnerable, we’re not, so here goes – 4 Hearts. Dave seems a little taken aback, but wastes little time in bidding 4 No Trump. Pass-pass to me. I don’t think I can beat 4 NT, but I can make at least 2 Hearts, can’t I? Five Hearts. Dave doubles, smiling. He leads the Ace of Spades.
Marilyn has a lovely dummy hand. Queen-little in Hearts. Five Spades to the King. Six mediocre Diamonds. No Clubs. I let Dave win the Ace of Spades and pitch my singleton Diamond. He leads a Diamond. Trump. I lead a low Club to the dummy’s void. Trump. Diamond. Trump. Another low Club. Trump Queen. Diamond. Trump. King of Hearts. Dave takes the Ace. I win his return, draw out the remaining trumps and cash the high Clubs. Making 5 Hearts. Plus 650. An absolute top … on top of another absolute top – 6 No Trump making an overtrick – on the previous hand.
Even our worst efforts can’t overcome good luck like that. We finish with 51.39%, fourth in B in our section, winning .59 of a silver point.

No comments:

Post a Comment