Friday, September 16, 2011

Bridge Blog 444: Buffalo Fall Sectional Day 1 -- Wakeup call

          How long from my house on Buffalo’s West Side to the Main-Transit Fire Hall? If you say 20 minutes, like I do as I step into the shower moments before 10 a.m. Friday because you can get everywhere in Buffalo in 20 minutes, then you’re wrong. It’s 25 minutes, even when you hit 80 mph on that little stretch of the Thruway between the Williamsville toll barrier and the Transit Road exit.
          So partner Marilyn Sultz is greatly relieved to see me rush into the fire company’s social hall with seconds to spare. I’m pushing the deadline so I could soak up as many zzzzees as possible after getting home from work around 4 a.m. As usual, I didn’t soak up enough and even copious swigs of coffee don’t keep me from making a fuzzy-brained mistake in the very first hand we play.
          We’re defending against a 2 No Trump contract, me having noodged it up from the one level. My secret weapon –- a five-card Club suit headed by the Ace-8, an outside Ace of Spades and a 2 Club bid over North’s 1 NT opener. Marilyn’s opening lead – the Queen of Clubs, which holds. Second Club, North puts up the Jack, taken by my Ace. Third Club, North’s King takes it. Later, I get in with the Ace of Spades and don’t remember if all the Clubs are out. Better not lead one. But all the Clubs really are all out. Shoulda counted. Shoulda made 1 No Trump, but South makes 2. Our score – 6.28 game points out of a possible 25.

No comments:

Post a Comment