Saturday, September 3, 2011

Bridge Blog 440: Bump

It’s bad enough for my point count not to be playing weekends, but it was particularly grievous when I learned that my brother and sister-in-law weren’t going to end their visit on Sunday, as I’d expected, but were staying over to Monday. I mean, I had plans. What’s more, I had even taken pains to remind my partner for the day – Niagara Regional Councilor Selina Volpatti, who would be coming over from Canada – that Monday was a double session and the morning section started at 10 a.m.
She wound up playing the morning session with Bill Finkelstein and shrugged off his abrasiveness. They had a 57% game. With me, the score wasn’t nearly as wonderful. We limped in at 45.83%, helped along by a couple complete disasters on my part. But that wasn’t the end. We were playing Tuesday, too.
Maybe we just needed to get used to each other, because Tuesday was stellar. In the morning, we did 59.47%, first in North-South, second overall, 2.58 points. The afternoon was 62.98%, second in A, first in B in our direction and overall, 2.38 points. This also lifted me to second place in the club’s monthly series for Tuesday, another .76 points.
On Wednesday with Celine Murray, the getting-to-know-you factor again was in force. Our morning session was 44.14%, followed by a 55.67% in the afternoon for another 1.07 points. My monthly total practically doubled in two days – unofficial tally for August: 15.12 at the Airport Bridge Club, of which 4.54 are red points.

No comments:

Post a Comment