Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Bridge Blog 1087: STaCollapse


        I said I was sick. I knew I was sick. I pressed on.
       Thursday the 13th I shrugged off the morning game with Gay Simpson. We just didn’t connect. At least our 42.50% wasn’t last. Would I connect with Marietta Kalman in the afternoon game? Not really. 46.02%. Nevertheless, I was able to do a hair appointment later and go to my astrological twin Jack Dumpert’s daughter’s book signing.
       Friday – the restorative air of Canada, which I reached via BMW courtesy car while the dealer got rid of the check engine light for me. A STaC break and a trip to St. Catharines would do me good. Well, not enough good. Tied for ninth North-south in a 16-table game with 48.46%. Partner Selina Volpatti this week tells me she also has pneumonia.
       Wednesday partner June Feuerstein comes in to give me a hand at the Airport Club on Saturday and when I arrive I discover I have triple-booked the day. I expected to play with Selina, who bowed out at mid-week because of her grandson’s high school graduation. And long ago I promised Art Matthies I would play at least one game with him. June was a late arrangement, but no arrangement could save me. We’re 43.92% in the morning. Art Matthies plays with club manager Bill Finkelstein in the p.m. and gets a silver point for coming in second. 
      I left before the afternoon scores were posted, had to get to work. Never saw how we did, but I knew it wasn't good. That night in the office, I began to realize how low things had sunken – and not just mentally. I prepped to take the next few days off. And the bridge tables have not seen me since then. Too sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment