Monday, June 10, 2019

Bridge Blog 1084: Keep On STaCking


I usually look forward to the STaC (Sectional Tournament at the Clubs), but not this time.
First of all, for us working stiffs, it’s a brutal schedule. Up before 8:30 a.m. to make the 10 a.m. start on time at the Airport Bridge Club (missed it by a minute Monday morning and paid a $1 penalty). Head straight to work afterward, arriving an hour past my scheduled 4 p.m. start on Monday. Repeat Tuesday and Wednesday. Thursday and Friday I get a break. I’m off work.
And then I come down with a cold Sunday night and start pumping decongestants. Am I still blowing my nose anyway? Am I groggy around the edges? Am I miserable? Yes, yes, and yes.
This doesn’t even take into consideration that it’s a late spring and there’s gardening to do. No chance of that at all till next Sunday. Only consolation is that it’s going to rain most of the week.
So I’m in no shape to take up the challenge Monday with Judie Bailey, who didn’t realize it started at 10 a.m. and arrives late. Somehow, we scrape together a 49.58% game, which miraculously gives us second place in the B strat North-South, 0.69 of a silver point.
In the afternoon, I’m flagging, I’m anxious because the game is running late and Judie is bailing out at 3 p.m. for a medical appointment. However, in walks the estimable Tom Fraas, freshly back from many months in Florida. He sits down across from me halfway through the game.
We get crappy cards, though, in this six-table Howell movement and we seem to be playing dismally, although we do manage to bid and make a 6 Spade slam. Imagine my surprise to hear our names announced at the end. It’s 55.73%, fourth overall, second in B, 0.88 of a silver point. Already I’ve doubled my winnings for the month. Guess I’ll take some more decongestants and set my alarm a few minutes earlier for Tuesday.


No comments:

Post a Comment