Sunday, October 30, 2011

Bridge Blog 458: Swiss movement

          Although there’s virtue in having a home life and not playing bridge seven days a week, I’ve missed way too many chances to earn master points this year by not taking part in the Swiss team games on weekends at the Airport Bridge Club. So when Judy Kaprove asked me to play Swiss on Sunday, triple point Swiss with flecks of gold attached, I said sure. I’ll take Saturday off and hopefully that will be enough time on the home front.
          So after a day of errands, gardening, a movie and some sushi that apparently gave me a terrible case of the runs and chills in the middle of the night (I suspect the fermented bean curd), I managed to make my way out the expressway to join Judy and the rest of the team – perennial substitute Ruth Hnath and Sunday-only player Ann Smith.
          We got off to a roaring start in the seven-team game, trouncing our first two opponents. But then we ran into tough going, winning only one of the remaining three rounds. Our fast start was good, though. Good enough to push us to first in the B strat, third overall, and a master point bonanza – 3.64 points, .18 gold. With one day to go this month, my personal tally now stands at 17.04, with .33 of a gold point.

No comments:

Post a Comment