Friday, October 7, 2011

Bridge Blog 449: Writing off the regional

          The Fates are conspiring against my chances in the Buffalo Spooktacular Regional Tournament on Grand Island next week. I doubt that Life Master is in the cards for me there.
          First of all, I’m not playing on the first day of the tournament on Tuesday. Long ago I promised to drive someone to Rochester that day. Then I have different partners on individual days – Judie Bailey on Wednesday, Celine Murray on Friday and Usha Khurana on Saturday. I’ve made no provisions for the point-heavy team games, so we’re likely to be playing pairs. Plus on Wednesday, due to scheduling foul-ups at the Buffalo News, I’m working the night city desk. I told them I’ll be a little late. And since I have no partner for Thursday, I told them I’ll also work the city desk that night.
          On Sunday, I’m playing on a Swiss team with Faith Perry and Florence Boyd. Sometimes we do well, but we didn’t at the Buffalo Fall Sectional and it’s more than likely that we won’t strike gold on Grand Island. So I’m writing it off already. The regional in Niagara Falls, Ont., in November could be another story, however. Selina Volpatti says she wants to be my partner there for the entire week. If we play together all week, we’re going to score.

No comments:

Post a Comment