Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Bridge Blog 1066: How low can we possibly go?


I sincerely hope that my first day of the new bridge year isn’t an omen of things to come.
First of all, I oversleep, wake up 55 minutes before I need to be at the Airport Bridge Club. Get there a couple minutes after 11, which is kind of a miracle, but still have to pay $1 extra for being late.
Second, my Wednesday partner, June Feuerstein, thinks I canceled on her because of New Year’s. No problem, really. Club manager Bill Finkelstein always can arrange a partner. Today it’s Bill Boardman.
Third, Bill and I get off to a terrible start – missing our strongest suits and our best contracts, then running into people who bid slams and make them when nobody else does. Our top board of the day is the one we pass out.
Fourth, Bill predicts we’ll be under 30%. I tell him my worst-ever game was 22% with Tish Schiffman and this can’t be that bad. It comes close. 29.58%. Lowest score in at least two years. I didn’t have a sub-30% game all last year. Didn't in 2017 either.
Fifth, my Thursday partner, Marietta Kalman, calls about 10 p.m. to tell me she had a car accident last week and can't play Thursday. She's not hurt, but her car was totaled and her husband doesn't want her to go out. I inform Bill Finkelstein and he says call my Wednesday partner. Turns out June's available. Maybe I can start 2019 all over again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment