Saturday, April 7, 2018

Bridge Blog 1020: March Is All Amiss


     The listings for the ACBL master point races are screwed up. When I ask for unit or district races, there’s no category for Ruby Life Masters like myself, just a general 1,000 to 2,500 category, the old Silver Life Master. And then there's no list of leaders. When I go to the nationwide list and ask for Unit 116, it offers the proper categories, but only lists the top three players.
     Nevertheless, for Ruby Life Masters (1,500 to 2,500 points) in Unit 116 (Buffalo only), there’s good news for me in those top three places in the Ace of Clubs competition, which is for points earned in club play only. My 32.74 points have landed me in first place. 
     Tied for second and snapping at my heels are Allen Beroza and Mike Silverman, both of whom have 32.35. In the nationwide scheme of things, I’m 444th among Ruby Life Masters. Allen and Mike are tied for 469th. What a difference 3/8ths of a point makes.
     In the Mini-McKenney, points earned everywhere, for Ruby Life Masters, there’s only one Unit 116 name – Davis Heussler, with 104.44.
     Go to District 5 (Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh) and there are six names in the Ruby Life Master Ace of Clubs listing – we three Buffalonians, who are third, fourth and fifth, along with Philip Goulding of Wexford, Pa., on top with 47.79; Susan Konig of Bridgeville, Pa., second with 41.28; and Garnet Depner of Jeannette, Pa., sixth with 32.34.
     Davis Heussler leads the Mini-McKenney race on the district level in our division, followed by Philip Goulding with 93.38; Craig Biddle of Pittsburgh far behind with 56.82 and Barbara Greenspan of Beechwood, Ohio, with 55.54. And that’s all they give us.
     So to find out how many points I’ve won overall this year, a sign-on to MyACBL is necessary. Pain in the ass. OK, there it is – 46.28. And there’s that career total – 2,367.60. Lessee now, to reach Gold Life Master, I need 132.40. Nine months averaging 15 points a month, that just might get me there by Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment