Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Bridge Blog 1013: Falling Off the Wagon

New Year's resolutions don't last forever. My vow to have no game below 40% held up for just 23 days. It fell during the ACBL-Wide Junior  Fund Game on Tuesday afternoon at the Airport Bridge Club.
Partner Dotty May and I turned in a miserable 39.32%, particularly unfortunate in a competition where points could be won on a district level. Doubly unfortunate, since the Airport Club was the only club in District 5 taking part in the game. The winners got something like 12 points.
And just when things were going so well. I just had my second-best-ever Buffalo Sectional Tournament and in the morning game at the Airport Bridge Club, Dotty and I had a 53.75% game, first in the B strat, for 1.80 points.

Wednesday saw a bounce-back with Gay Simpson, a last-minute substitute for my regular partner, June Feuerstein, who is ailing. Gay's a much more serious player than June and our combined focus turned out to be fortuitous – first overall with 64.58%, for 2.19 points. I'm now approaching 20 points for the month. 2018 is off to a good start. 

No comments:

Post a Comment