Sunday, September 10, 2017

Bridge Blog 974: TWTWTW Sept. 4 to Sept. 10

Monday: Double Labor Day session at the Airport Bridge Club with the usual hasty lunch included. And me with no partner, having decided to play at the last minute.
Morning finds me paired with Sam Austin, whom I know as a medical assistant who's often taken my weight and blood pressure at Roswell Park Cancer Institute. Sam's getting back into the game – he doesn't even play weak two-bids or transfers over 1 No Trump openers – but we achieve a miracle anyway. 55.65%. Second in A and B strats in our direction. 1.29 points.
Afternoon teams me for the first time with Margaret Zhou, a more experienced newbie, but experience doesn't help us much. 45.56%. At least we're not last.
Tuesday: Again no partner, but this time club director Bill Finkelstein lines up a player with a lot of experience – Carolyn Siracuse. When Carolyn and I do well, we do very, very well, and this is one of those games. 59.67%. First north-south, second overall. 2.30 points.
Wednesday: Even a bad game doesn't diminish June Feuerstein's jolliness. And it isn't as bad as we think it's going to be. 47.96%. If only we could replay a couple of those bottom boards …
Thursday: My only game of the summer with Dede Kluckhohn, who wonders how much of her winter house on Sanibel Island in Florida will survive Hurricane Irma. We have an excellent time together – we were acquaintances back in the 1970s – but not an excellent game. 40.65%. Fortunately, that isn't last.
Friday: In need of a pick-me-up, I roll up to St. Catharines, Ont., and find one with my Canadian partner, Selina Volpatti, in a 17-table game. 62.38%. Second in the A strat, first in B. 1.28 points. Hope we do as well next Saturday in the Buffalo Fall Sectional Tournament.

Saturday: Saturday partner Denise Slattery and I are on a roll. 58.33%. First overall in a four-table game. 2.04 points. Total for the week: 6.91 points. For the month so far: 9.41. 

No comments:

Post a Comment