Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Bridge Blog 971: Second hand low

That's what partner Usha Khurana says Tuesday, Aug. 29, when I play her King of Hearts on the opening lead in a 3 No Trump contract in the next-to-last round in an 11-table game at the Airport Bridge Club.
The King gets swallowed by Eleanor Whelan's Ace, but it sets up my sequence of lesser honors in the Hearts very nicely. A few plays later, I lead a Club from my hand to dummy's 10 for a safety play, to insure that I can cash the remaining four Clubs in hand. The 10 holds, miraculously, and I proceed to win all the other Clubs.
Ruth Wurster, sitting South, could have won that first Club trick with her Queen or Jack, but followed Usha's suggestion. Bridge wisdom, to be sure, but in this case, it secures an extra trick for me. The hand record says it's only good for 3 No Trump, but I wind up with two overtricks. Top board. One of the few bright spots in a 44.71% game.

Board 5. North-south vulnerable. North is dealer.

North (Eleanor Whelan)
Spades: A-10-9-6; Hearts: A-4-2; Diamonds: K-6-4-2; Clubs: 9-4.

East (moi)
Spades: Q-8; Hearts: Q-J-10-9; Diamonds: Q-5; Clubs: A-K-8-7-6.

South (Ruth Wurster)
Spades: 4-3-2; Hearts: 8-7-5-3; Diamonds: J-10-8; Clubs: Q-J-2.

West (Usha)
Spades: K-J-7-5; Hearts: K-6; Diamonds: A-9-7-3; Clubs: 10-5-3.

Lead is 8 of Hearts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment