Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Bridge Blog 969: TWTWTW Aug. 14 to Aug. 20

Eight days of bridge this week. Once every day and twice on Sunday at the Unit 116 picnic (see Blog 969-A). Four fruitful, one also-ran, three absolutely abysmal.

Monday with Marilyn Sultz. 47.72%. Actually a close one. One more match point and we would have edged out Cleveland Fleming and Margaret Zhou for third place in the B strat. I should have kept a Spade against the No Trump contract on Board 15.

Tuesday with Usha Khurana. 42.11%. Last North-South.

Wednesday with Dottie May. 48.26%. Should have been an also-ran, but we’re on top of a bunch of pairs in the upper 40s. Fourth East-West. 0.83 of a point.

Thursday with Marietta Kalman. 41.12%. Next to last North-South.

Friday in St. Catharines with Selina Volpatti. 51.74%. Fourth North-South, on top of a cluster of players right around 50%. 0.49 of a point. I arrive late because of a 40-minute wait to get over the Peace Bridge and director Keith Burkell sits in for me on Board 3. It’s a bottom, the only one where East-West makes a 3 NT contract and, reviewing it on the website, I see why. Selina leads the 9 of Clubs from A-Q-J-9-4, taken by dummy’s singleton 10. The two North-Souths who beat 3 NT lead the Queen.

Saturday with Art Matthies. Best game of the week so far. 56% in a three-table session. Second overall. 1.83 points. Art gives only a few sighs of exasperation, notably in the final round of the day, Board 24, against Christine Malarkey and Ron Henrikson. Ron makes a 4 Spade contract that Art says would be defeated with a different lead. Here’s the hand:
West is dealer. Nobody vulnerable.

West: (Ron)
Spades: A-K-J-9-8-3; Hearts: A-Q-J; Diamonds: A; Clubs: K-8-7

North: (me)
Spades: 5-2; Hearts: 10-8-7-3-2; Diamonds: K-2; Clubs: A-J-6-3

East (Christine)
Spades: 6-4; Hearts: 9-5; Diamonds: J-10-9-7-5-4-3; Clubs: 10-9

South (Art)
Spades: Q-10-7; Hearts: K-6-4; Diamonds: Q-8-6; Clubs: Q-5-4-2

According to the hand record, it’s all East-West, making 2 NT, 3 Spades, 1 Heart, 3 or 4 Diamonds and even 1 Club. I wish I recalled the bidding, but I’m pretty sure Ron doesn’t do a strong 2 Club opener and steer things into Spades, which is what I would do. At any rate, I think he opens1 Spade and, emboldened by not being vulnerable, I overcall 2 Hearts, Art supports the Hearts and Ron winds up at 4 Spades.
My lead is my fourth-best Heart. Ron plays the 5 from the dummy. Art puts up the 6. Ron wins with the Jack. Art maintains that I should have led my best Heart, the 10, because he infers an honor from my lowball lead. I contend that the 10 is an honor, albeit a low one, and he should have risen with the King anyway.
At any rate, I shall follow his precept when I’m playing with him. I suspect that it makes no difference in the play of the hand. Here I suspect the key to setting the contract is the Clubs. We should hold Ron to five Spades, three Hearts and the Ace of Diamonds.

Sunday morning with Florence Boyd at the Unit 116 picnic. Absolutely abysmal. I'd have more to say about it if I could figure out how to access the results on the Common Game. Since I can't and because the Unit 116 result list only recounts the point winners, I'm not even sure what our score was down there on the bottom. Something like 33.7%

Sunday afternoon with Florence Boyd at the Unit 116 picnic. Redemption. 58.81%. Ninth overall, which wasn't good enough to pick up points in the A strat, but sixth in the B strat, which earned us 0.75 of a point.


Total for the week: 3.90. And for the month so far: 10.88. Short week ahead because I'll be out of town for a couple days. All of a sudden, hitting that goal of 15 points per month looks like it might be a stretch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment