Sunday, September 23, 2018

Bridge Blog 1049: Buffalo Fall Sectional



Director Alex Bealles (purple shirt) brings boards to the tables to start the Saturday morning game. 


I come to the Social Hall at the Main Transit Fire Hall in a slump on Friday – a week of 40% games – and I have high hopes that pairing with a good player like Art Matthies will lift my fortunes.
Art has a strategy for the sectionals – stay away from the big two-session games each day, which are dominated by the top-level players, and hang out in the single-session side games. The way he sees it, the point rewards aren’t as big, but they’re easier to tap into because the competition isn’t as strong.
Nevertheless, you need games well above 50% to succeed in the side games. The Friday morning winners, Unit 116 leader Betty Metz and Tova Reinhorn, have a fabulous 66.67% game and collect 2.93 silver points. To collect any points at all, it takes at least 55%. We have 47.08%. In terms of match points, however, we’re only 10 short. Turn around three of our bad hands and we’re in the winners’ circle.
Well, there’s always the afternoon, but it doesn’t show much improvement. We’re fifth in an eight-pair Howell game with 48.61%. The winners, Amita Amora and Sharon Chang, have 57.64% and earn 2.57 points.
Losing makes Art grumpy. Saturday morning, however, our score lifts and so does his mood. The side game is big – 10 tables – and we finish with a respectable 58.33%. But that only gives us fourth place North-South. 0.87 of a silver point.
Art’s aspect darkens again in the afternoon as our game reverts to Friday’s level. This time it’s a five-table Mitchell movement and we’re fourth East-West with 46.63%.
As I’m settling in Saturday night to celebrate the 50th anniversary of my arrival at The Buffalo News back on Sept. 23, 1968, with a big gathering of friends at the 100 Acres restaurant, there’s a call from Art. He’s not feeling well. He’s supposed to play with me in the Swiss team game on Sunday, but he can’t. Perhaps Bill Finkelstein was right when he texted me Saturday morning to say, “I’m sure you’re breaking him of the interest in playing with you.”
Well, I’d thought he was overdosing on me when he signed up for three days. Nevertheless, this leaves me with a dilemma. After an unsuccessful early morning attempt to line up Paula Salamone and then her ex, Thom Burnett, I go to Main-Transit and throw myself upon the good graces of partnership chairman Dian Petrov.
Happily, Gay Simpson and Denise Slattery have not lined up teammates for the Swiss game. I get to play with Denise. Dian already lined our teammate Margaret Zhou with promising newcomer Raj Roy. This arrangement has promise.
We hit a bump in the road in the opening round, though, against Sue Neubecker and Gay Simpson, who whop us 25-5 victory points. We come back by winning the next two rounds, then lose the one before the lunch break. I tell the team that we need to win two of the remaining three rounds to collect a point bonus, but alas, we win only one and fall six VPs short. For our three wins, we earn 0.78 of a point.
Total for the Sectional: 1.65 points. Last year I won 1.98.

No comments:

Post a Comment