Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Bridge Blog 915: Stumbling to the finish line

I couldn’t believe my eyes. My name was way, way down the list in the October master point race at the Airport Bridge Club, barely 5½ points with only a couple days left in the month. That month also included a week of tournament play, which brought in three times as many points, but that won’t help in the Ace of Clubs tally.
Fortunately, Saturday the 29th boosted my fortunes by 1.70 points when partner Ron Henrikson and I turned in a 57.41% game (third overall, second in B).
And I was looking forward to more at Monday’s double-session Halloween Party game. Alas, that was not to be. 
In the morning, with David Donaldson, we limped home with 39.44%. But then again, Dave and I haven’t played together in a long time. I’d do better in the afternoon with Judie Bailey. 
Wrong. Instead of pursuing the defensive stance that’s worked so well for me lately, we went on offense, taking 17 of 24 contracts. The results weren’t so winning – 44.58%.
Fortunately, I have a few other club points to add from sudden (and unexpected) success at the Niagara Bridge Centre in St. Catharines, thanks to two good games in October with Selina Volpatti (see Blogs 908, 914 and 915-A). 

No comments:

Post a Comment