Monday, May 19, 2014

Bridge Blog 765: Back in the saddle

“I haven’t played in 10 days,” I told partner Usha Khurana as I slipped into my seat at the Airport Bridge Club Monday morning. “What’s the highest suit? Spades?”
My rustiness showed in the bidding on that first hand. I opened 1 Spade with 16 high card points, but after Usha’s supportive 2 Spade bid, I offered a tentative 3 Spades and she passed. I made 5 Spades, thanks to a one-trick gift from the opponents, but I shouldn’t have been so timid and we should have been in game.
Despite our bidding deficiencies – that wasn’t the last of them – we were sharp on defense and after a few rounds I noticed that most of the scores were on our side of the line. Another gift from the opponents gave us a top board on the final hand and lifted us to 61.61%, first North-South, winning 0.70 of a point and lifting that lifetime total to  1,699.17.

No comments:

Post a Comment