Monday, November 21, 2011

Bridge Blog 473: Too much = not enough


One fine day when I’m a really good player I’ll know what to do when I pick up a 29-point hand. I didn’t on Monday when I surveyed this little gem nestled in Board 15. I’m North, North-South is vulnerable, South is dealer.
         
Spades: A-K-7. Hearts: A-K-8-6-5.
Diamonds: A-Q-6. Clubs: A-K.
The problem with a hand this good is that my partner could have absolutely nothing. She passes. So does West. Do I bid 2 Clubs, 3 No Trump or something else entirely? I do a 4 Heart pre-empt, figuring that if nothing else, it’s probably makeable. When I see the dummy, however, I realize that someone much better is makeable.
Spades: 9-6-5-3. Hearts: Q-9.
Diamonds: 5-2. Clubs: Q-J-8-6-5.
I wind up losing the last two tricks – a Spade and King of Diamonds, the problem being that I can’t throw off my losers on dummy’s Clubs because I can’t reach them – but in No Trump, that’s not an issue.
East
Spades: 10-4-2. Hearts: 10-4-2.
Diamonds: 9-7-4. Clubs: 9-7-4-3.
West
Spades: Q-J-8. Hearts: J-7-3.
Diamonds: K-J-10-8-3. Clubs: 10-2.
My 650 score gets us only two of a possible six game points. Worse than me are the people who bid 6 Hearts (down three) and the ones who don’t make an overtrick at 4 Hearts. The winners are in No Trump. Two of them are at 3 NT making 6. One is at 3 NT making 7. And then there’s the brilliant pair (I believe it was Mike Kisiel) that went to 6 NT. Making 7.
How do I get there, I ask club manager Bill Finkelstein when I lay out the hand after the game. The opening bid, he says, is 2 Clubs. The second bid, after partner comes up with a 2 Diamond waiting bid, is 5 No Trump, showing those 29 points. Then she should bid 6 NT. Trouble is, Bill noted, partner may not understand the bid and either bid a suit or leave me there at 5 NT.

No comments:

Post a Comment