Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Bridge Blog 1204: The power of positive thinking

 


No sooner had I rolled onto Richmond Avenue en route to St. Catharines, Ont., on Wednesday than I fielded a phone call from one of my oldest and dearest friends in Florida, who was brimming with positivity now that she's emerged from the complications that followed the death of her husband last winter. She was so upbeat that I was sure that the positivity would rub off on my bridge game with Rod Sumner.

Rod, however, was as low as I was high. He was in pain. He'd injured his hamstring muscle. Nevertheless, we both felt uplifted after our first round against two of the better players, Myrna Mackey and Dot Duchnicki.

First hand, Board 10, felt good even though it was a wash, a complete middle board. Myrna stopped at 2 No Trump and went down two after Rod got to unload a six-card Spade suit. Other, unluckier, players sitting East stopped at 2 NT and went down three.

Board 11, though, was a complete triumph. I opened a weak 2 Spades and when they went to 5 Clubs, Rod doubled. Down two. Top board. Board 12 also felt good but still was middle board. I made 3 No Trump, along with four other Norths. So far, so good. We sailed into the second round at 66.67%.

But our positivity lost its punch in the next round against Motaz Farag and Dena Jones. Two ties for bottom boards. When we emerged, we’d deflated to 40.63%. It took until the final round against John Stevens and Rocky Laiqing to find another bright spot. Rod, playing 3 Hearts doubled vulnerable, made two overtricks. 1,130 match points! How often do you see that score? As a result, we managed to stumble across the finish line in seventh place with 45.98%.


No comments:

Post a Comment