Thursday, March 12, 2020

Bridge Blog 1121: Plague season


       
           
      Coronavirus struck home Thursday, March 12. In club manager Bill Finkelstein’s remarks before play started, he announced that, because all the players are in their 70s and 80s and are most at risk from the disease, the Airport Bridge Club will be closed until Monday, March 30.
       That prospect hung over the game like a shroud of doom, a shadow that darkened further as me and my last-minute substitute partner, Bill Boardman, slogged to a 38% finish. It dashed my hopes that my fortunes were brightening after a couple 50+ games broke that succession of games in the 40s last week.  
What happened to my regular Thursday mate, Marietta Kalman? I missed her phone message, I learned when I just called her. She canceled – afraid of the virus. Same with my Saturday partner, Sharon Chang, who turned down my invitation to play this week at the Bridge Center of Buffalo.
So what’s a gamer to do? So far, the Bridge Center is open. The club in St. Catharines seems to be running, too. I’ll find out more Friday afternoon when I go play there with Selina Volpatti.

No comments:

Post a Comment