Thursday, December 20, 2018

Bridge Blog 1063: Later? Or sooner?


Since STaC week two weeks ago, I’ve become resigned to the likelihood I won’t become a Gold Life Master before the end of the year. When the month began, I needed 18.53 points. I’d hoped to pick up half of them during the STaC, got only 2.52.
What I wasn’t counting on were the non-tournament games at the Airport Bridge Club. As it turns out, they’ve been better than the STaC.
My total the month at the club as of Tuesday, Dec. 18, was 8.06 (including the STaC results). Then June Feuerstein and I had a 54.46% game on Wednesday and came in first in the B strat. 1.70 points.
And on Thursday, in a bizarre turn of events that I still don’t understand, director Bill Finkelstein stopped the eight-table game after four three-board rounds because of a problem, had us all shuffle the cards and then play another four three-board rounds against the rest of our opponents. It amounted to not one, but two abbreviated 12-hand games, both involving 24 boards.
In the first session, when partner Marietta Kalman and I were having good cards and what seemed like good luck, I was startled at the real outcome – a mere 47.93%. The second session promised an even lower score, so I was even more shocked to discover that we were running a 68% game when the first partial results were posted. Naturally, that didn’t hold up, but we didn’t descend too far, only to 56.94%. Third overall. 0.89 of a point.
So where do things stand? Let’s do the numbers. 10.65 points at the Airport Club. Another 0.67 last Friday with Canadian partner Selina Volpatti at the Bridge Centre of Niagara in St. Catharines, Ont.  Total so far: An unofficial 11.32.
How many points did I need at the start of the month? 18.53. How many do I need now? 7.21. How many games left in 2018? Seven. Hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment