Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Bridge Blog 1052: Buffalo Regional Tournament Day 1


For a guy who’s counting on this tournament for a big boost toward Gold Life Master, I’ve totally failed at planning. Until I get a call from David Colligan looking for a partner for Thursday, I’ve lined up nobody to play with except for the Swiss teams on Sunday.
Clutching a fresh mug of iced coffee and only too aware of my pathetic position, I get to the hotel formerly (and still mostly) known as Adam’s Mark just about half an hour before the morning game starts at 10 a.m. Tuesday, a major effort for a night owl like me, having worked the previous evening.
Partnership chairman Dian Petrov says a guy from Rochester is looking for a partner and was supposed to arrive at 9:30. He never shows up. By default, I’m paired with the assistant partnership chairman, Jim Gullo. Jim’s savvy and he’s good natured but, alas, his vision is bad and he is in great pain from throwing his back out this morning.
Yet despite a couple times when Jim misreads my bidding card or mistakes one suit for another, he plays very well – he even manages to make a 6 No Trump slam that I stuck him with – and we have a respectable morning in the pairs game. 57.81%, fourth out of 17 North-Souths in our section, 1.43 red points.
But can we do it again in the afternoon? Jim’s hurting worse, no one has Tylenol to lend him, and I’m making wretched mistakes, sometimes back to back. On one hand, not only do I miss Jim’s signal to shift to a new suit, but I also fail to take a winning trump trick, allowing our opponents to make game with an overtrick instead of perhaps going down one.
The cards add to our miseries. In the morning, we’re all offense. Now we’re all defense. In the first 20 boards, we take the bid only six times. I don’t know how we manage to finish with 51.44%, but we do. Our combined morning and afternoon scores place us eighth in the A stratification (Jim has more points than me, hence we’re A). We get 2.62 gold points.
Just to keep things in perspective, my regular Saturday partner Denise Slattery, playing with Bob Linn, an old hand at this game, comes in eleventh overall in the pairs, but they are in the B strat. There they’re fourth. They get 3.04 gold points.

No comments:

Post a Comment